In this article under our “Social Media” category, we included the popular photo-sharing platform Instagram with its 1 billion active users. We will start with “Instagram History”, and then talk about “What is Instagram?”, “Why is Instagram Important?” “How to Use Instagram?”, “What is Instagram Used for?
This article contains all the details about Instagram, a popular social network focused on photography and video sharing. We will conduct a comprehensive analysis starting from the details about “Instagram History” and the question “What is Instagram?”.
In the article, we also included the questions of “How to Use Instagram?”, “Why is Instagram Important?” and “What are the Features of Instagram?”. In addition to all of these, we added the “Instagram Statistics of 2019”. So we can summarize our article “Everything About Instagram”. Let us begin to talk about from history.
Instagram was founded on October 5, 2010, by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger as a free photo editing and sharing application for iOS.
The application has grown in a short time. The first reason why it is so popular is that it makes the photos taken more beautiful with the 11 photo filters it contains. In addition, users had the opportunity to share the photos also on the other social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Tumblr) with Instagram, instantly, practically and quickly. All these made the app popular in a short time. Instagram, which was used and recommended by large masses in a short time, soon reached 1 million users.
What makes Instagram different from the other photo editing apps is that it contains many filters. At the same time, the users were able to adjust these filters to their desire. Here are the active and removed filters on Instagram.
Instagram Active Filters
- X-Pro II
Instagram Removed Filters
- Apollo (Removed in Version 2.0)
- Gotham (Removed in Version 2.0)
- Lily (Removed in version 1.0.6)
- Poprocket (Removed at version 1.0.6, removed at version 2.0 although re-added at 1.0.7)
Use of Hashtag
Instagram has proved itself by winning awards in the category of “Best Mobile Application” given by Tech Crunch in January 2011. On the same dates, it announced its hashtag usage, namely the hashtag(#) system. In this way, users had the opportunity to interact not only with their friends but also with all users who share using the same hashtag.
2011 was a productive year for it. Because before the end of the year, Instagram has announced that it has reached 15 million members and 400 million photos sharing with an official statement.
Application With The Value of 1 Billion Dollar
In January 2012, the growth of Instagram has been rapid. Especially the opening of accounts of many famous people and politicians like Barack Obama made the application even more popular. By April, it is being sold to Facebook with an important decision. The popular social network platform, Facebook bought it for $ 1 billion.
Branded Content Period
By the way, Instagram launched the “Branded Content” feature, which concerns small businesses, boutiques, and corporate brands. Thus, branded content determined according to the users’ news flows and interests started to come to the screen. With the update in 2014, the application left the usage rate of the filters to the users’ choice. In this way, users started to adjust the filter used in the photos. Meanwhile, while it has improved, the number of users has continued to increase. The number of the users in 2014 has reached 400 million.
Layout and Boomerang
Instagram, which makes updates that excite users every year, continued this habit in 2015 as well. The “Layout” is one of them. Users have a new and different experience with “Layout”, that allows giving several photos in one frame. In October of the same year, it is introduced Boomerang, which attracted more attention from the Layout application.
Instagram Logo Changed
Looking at the post-2015 period, the most striking update is the change in the logo. It aims to represent a more versatile camera with a new logo inspired by its old logo. The rainbow in the icon continues to be part of the app as a gradient. In addition, changes were made in the user interface and font to reveal photos and videos forefront.
Additionally, it has constantly updated itself with its features such as live video, story sharing and video upload, which has enabled it to increase the number of active users.
What is Instagram? How to use Instagram?
Instagram is a photo and short video sharing application basically. It is a free application that has a fast, practical, fun and easy interface as well as making photos more fun with filters. It is a social network platform. Because there are three unique features for social networks on it. These; interactivity, sharing, and participation.
Why Should I Use Instagram? Why is Instagram Important?
We touched upon important points focused on photography/short video, in the titles of “Instagram History and What is Instagram?”. So why is Instagram important?
The most important and main answer to this question; users can change their photos as they want professionally and free of charge via filters and turn them into professional photos. Users are also able to instantly share these photos, which they enriched with various effects, with their friends. In this respect, it has not only been a photo editing tool but has also operated as a social network.
Instagram And E-Commerce
Users are able to edit their photos and share them instantly on both Instagram and other social networks platforms. This fact puts the application in the category of the social network. However, it has been used as an e-commerce platform. This is another factor that makes the app special and important.
Especially the sales of boutiques on Instagram showed that it is not an ordinary social network or photo editing/sharing application. Users who made strategic moves were able to turn the app into an income channel. This situation also triggered Instagram and while doing updates/development, it acted in consideration of the people, brands, and boutiques that doing sales.
Features such as sponsored ads, product labeling feature, company page creation, statistics have made it easier for the sales and marketing brands.
Features of Instagram
There are many actions within the app. These are also among the features. Here are all the features of it;
Pictures and/or photographs (images) can be edited and shared using various filters and effects. Images can also be adjusted in various sizes. Description and hashtag can be added to sharings and people can be tagged.
It is possible to share videos using various filters and effects. Description and hashtag can be added to sharings and people can be tagged.
People can send messages to each other directly. If the users are not mutually followed up, these messages fall into the “other” box.
Live videos can be broadcasted within a limited time of up to 1 hour. With live videos, you can interact with your followers instantly. During the live video, users can send various emojis to the live video and can be commented on.
You can read our article about Instagram Live Video Streaming by clicking here.
“Story” sharing, which is a feature of Snapchat, is also used on Instagram. It is possible to share 24-hour photos and videos in the story. To make the stories interesting, users can add a location notification, gif, sticker, emoji, question – answer, lyrics or text while sharing the story.
As with all social networks, a hashtag can be added to the bio to share. You can also add hashtags to your posts so that the users who do not follow you can see your posts. By the way, remember that you can add 30 hashtags maximum.
IGTV (Instagram Tv)
If you normally want to share videos on the app, the duration is 1 minute. The duration of the videos shared in the stories is 30 seconds. It is announced that IGTV, which will share 1-hour vertical videos for users who are bored with these restrictions. This feature can make Instagram a competitor to Youtube.
Users who do not want to delete a share on Instagram, but want to close it for a while, can record this content to the Archive. Stories are also kept in the Archive for a certain period of time.
Statistics feature has been activated for pages using corporate accounts. With this feature, statistics can be obtained within the framework of metrics on Instagram about interaction, discovery, demography, location, etc.
This feature is provided to manage time in the app focus. It is possible for the users to learn the daily and weekly time spent on Instagram from the tab.
If you want to watch content that you see on any page, you can save it. With the “Save” feature, the app allows users to see the content they have saved even if they are offline.
Stories shared on the app are deleted after 24 hours. However, some stories are so important and special that they cannot be erased. It has enabled the “Featured Story” property for users who want to create a story archive publicly.
Latest Developments About Instagram
Instagram is on the agenda of the whole world with a different development almost every week. It is not easy even for websites working in this field and making news, to watch the latest developments on the app, where hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of news have been written since its establishment. We have organized some of the latest news about Instagram that is considered important. Here are the latest developments about it;
“Activity Status” Feature
It launched its “Activity Status” feature in 2017. Thanks to this feature, users can find out if the people they spoke to via “direct message” are online or when they last logged into the app. Those who will like this feature, as well as those who do not like this feature, are also considered. For this, the feature of deactivating the “Activity Status” feature comes with it. To deactivate this feature: Click on your profile; then click on “privacy” from the “setting” menu. And then click on “Activity Status” and then turn off the feature from this page. It’s that simple now nobody can see when you last logged in Instagram.
Adding Product Tag
Thanks to product tagging, users will have the opportunity to visit the store of the brands they follow. By the way, the best part of the feature is that the user will not have to leave the app during the purchase process. It will be redirected to the relevant page only at the payment stage. The user will find himself on the app again after the payment.
Repost Period on Instagram
Facebook’s sense of competition, general progress, and growth strategy are unusual. It was bought by Facebook for $ 1 billion in 2012 and naturally applied Facebook’s management and competition strategies. It imitated Snapchat’s story feature in the past years and announced that it will adapt “Retweet” implementation, one of the concepts that comes to our lives with Twitter this time. Yes, Repost Feature as Retweet can now be used.
Instagram Tv (IGTV)
Today’s most popular application has presented IGTV to its users with a promotional meeting held recently, in response to the superiority of YouTube, which is owned by Google.
Usually, platforms such as Instagram, Facebook or YouTube, open the applications primarily for “Power Users” called strong users. To users who have more followers and test them through these accounts. In the same way, IGTV currently offers the opportunity to upload/share videos up to 10 minutes for 10.000 followers and below, up to 1 hour for corporate accounts and accounts with more than 10,000 followers.
Removing People From the Followers List
The new feature, which has been talked about for a while and is in the development phase, will allow users to easily remove people they do not want to follow without having to “block” them. Unwanted followers will be “politely” removed from the list of followers instead of being blocked. No notification will be sent to the removed followers.
Product Tagging Feature to Stories
We mentioned before branding updates for an e-commerce company on the app. In this update, It is launched “Instagram Stories” for product tagging for e-commerce companies.
Instagram has continued to work on how to make this feature better on the heavy demand for product tagging innovation. Subsequently, he added the same feature to the stories.
Removes Instagram Likes
The app, which is among the most popular social networks in the world with its more than 1 billion users, focused on photo/short video sharing, is going through a radical change. Accordingly, no one can see how many likes the content (photos, videos) someone else shared have.
Adding Lyrics to Instagram Stories
A new feature has come to the app, one of the popular social networks. It will be possible to share lyrics on Instagram Stories soon.
Group Chat Feature on Instagram Stories
It is getting ready to bring a new feature to the stories. With the “Join Chat” sticker added to the stories, followers can be included in the conversation with the group chat feature.
Name is Changing
With the popular messaging app Whatsapp is included in Facebook, the photo/video sharing app Instagram is waiting for a radical change in the coming period. Accordingly, the name of Whatsapp and Instagram is changing.
We have compiled for you the latest statistics about the application, which was established in 2010 as a social network where users can share photos and videos. We have compiled for you the interesting statistical information on 2019 data, from demographic data to important features, the net value of the app, usage statistics, names from management to market share.
If you want to know more about Instagram, we think it is also useful to take a look at this information.
26 Instagram Facts You Need to Know
- Instagram reached 1 billion active users monthly in 2019.
- It was launched in 2010 as an iPhone application. It reached 1 million users in a month and succeeded to be the favorite of the silicon valley. Foursquare and Twitter reached 2 million users at that time in two years.
- 33 percent of the most viewed stories belong to businesses.
- 200 million users visit at least one business profile every day. 80 percent of accounts follow a company account.
- There are 25 million company accounts on the application.
- It has been identified by Alexa as the 13th most popular website in the world.
- The value of the application is estimated at $ 100 billion USD
- The brands with the highest interaction are:
- National Geographic: 119 million followers
- Nike: 91.8 million followers
- NBA: 39.6 million followers
- Chanel: 36.3 million followers
- Louis Vuitton: 33.9 million followers
- Adidas: 24.3 million followers
- Starbucks: 18.1 million followers
- GoPro: 16 million followers
- The number of daily active users of Instagram Stories reached 200 million in 2017 and surpassed Snapchat’s 161 million daily users, where the stories format was copied.
- One of the most striking features recently released is the shopping tags used in the posts.
- Facebook bought Instagram for $ 1 billion in 2012.
- Most followed accounts by the year 2019:
- Instagram: 311 million followers
- Cristiano Ronaldo: 181 million followers
- Ariana Grande: 163 million followers
- Selena Gomez: 155 million followers
- Kim Kardashian-West: 146 million followers
- Kylie Jenner: 144 million followers
- The most liked photo of Instagram belongs to an egg taken in a white background. This egg surpassed Kylie Jenner’s share of Instagram’s title in 2018 and was used as a marketing strategy by Hulu.
- 89.5 percent of Instagram posts are shared without adding an Instagram filter. However, let us remind you that users can choose third party applications to add a filter.
- Among the filtered posts, the most popular filter, Clarendon, and the others are Juno, Ludwig, Lark, and Gingham respectively.
- The most used hashtag in 2019 is #love. Moreover, it is possible to say that this hashtag has been on top for a long time.
- During the LGBTI+ Pride Month Celebrations in June, It decorated the story rings with rainbow colors of those who used the hashtags associated with Pride Month.
- In 2013, It presented a 15-second video feature to the platform to compete with Twitter’s Vine product. In the first 24 hours of the feature’s release, 5 million videos were uploaded to the platform. Currently, Instagram’s most popular feature is Instagram Stories, where 60-second videos can be uploaded.
- Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, the founders of the Instagram app, met while studying at Stanford. They left the company last year completely by stating that they wanted to deal with new projects.
- Adam Mosseri is currently the leader in Instagram. Mosseri has been on Instagram’s higher company Facebook for more than 10 years and manages Instagram’s engineering, product, and operations.
- Instagram’s headquarters is located in Menlo Park, in California.
- 32 percent of all Internet users are on Instagram.
- The global breakdown of Instagram users in 2019 is as follows:
- USA: 110 million
- Brazil: 66 million
- India: 64 million
- Indonesia: 56 million
- Russia: 35 million
- Turkey: 34 million
- Japan: 24 million
- UK 22 million
- Mexico: 20 million
- Germany: 18 million
- Average age range of Instagram users:
- 18-29: 59 percent
- 30-49: 33 percent
- 50-64: 18 percent
- 65+: 8 percent
- Instagram users’ annual household income in 2019:
- 30,000-49,999 USD: 32 percent
- 50,000-74,999 USD: 32 percent
- 75,000 USD or more: 37 percent
- The average training level of Instagram users in 2019:
- Primary, Middle or High School Graduate: 27 percent
- University Drop Out: 37 percent
- University Graduate: 33 percent
We have included all the details on Instagram the most popular social network in the world, in this article. According to this, we aimed to give all the curious details about this social platform.
So our article started with Instagram History? We continued with “why is it important?”. Afterward, we talked about Statistics, Instagram’s Features, Filters, Latest Developments and statistical data for 2019.
After all these words, if you ask yourself How do I create an Instagram account? or if you want to learn How to delete Instagram account? you can read our articles on these topics. If you want to make your Instagram account passive instead of deleting it, please click here.
And those who want secrecy against other people for Instagram can learn how to delete Instagram search history from article.
By the way, do not forget to follow the “To Make But How” through our Instagram and other social media accounts.
You might also like:
PS: Featured image of the post cited from pixabay